Saturday, August 11, 2012

Monday 30 July 2007 and Monday 30 July 2012


Monday 30 July 2007 = THEN

I had probably the best night’s sleep last night that I have had, since I came in to hospital on July 4th. I didn’t feel sick at all. I had breakfast but then I felt a bit sick so they gave me some anti-sickness meds. We are trying to get the balance right between weaning me off the anti-sickness meds and making sure I don’t feel sick or have to vomit.

I managed to take some of my tablets orally today for the first time in weeks. That and keeping my breakfast down are all steps closer to freedom for me.

I saw my consultant and she said that the thing worrying her at the moment are the spikes in temperature that I keep getting. It may be the line in my chest so she made a decision to take it out today. I am very nervous about it coming out as it had to be surgically inserted. How can they take it out here in the room?

But I will be glad to be free of it I guess.  

The GOING HOME words were mentioned today for the first time. Halleluia! I am nearly there.
The doctors need to be sure that all the toxicity in my gut has settled so there is a little bit of a way to go yet. Boy has my gut been toxic!

I have vomited so much and had so many visits to the toilet! Eugh. I have been on four different mouth washes to prevent me picking up a bacterial infection, a fungal infection, thrush [which I have anyway] and something to protect my teeth. It has been fairly rancid! 

Cathal was on the phone to me first thing this morning, telling me he is better and that he is coming to collect me very soon [I was crying]. He went on to tell me how much he is missing me. Gosh I can’t wait to hold him in my arms and to hug him and just see him. It has been very hard to be away from him for almost a month. 

I have been lucky to see Emma a couple of times but I can’t wait to spend time with her too. She is at the dentist today. It’s hard not being there for her. She has overcrowding so will have to have some teeth out later in the week. Yikes! Another thing I won’t be able to be there for and that is very hard. 

I saw the Counsellor this afternoon and we had a good chat. I was a little bit angry because I felt that I had not been prepared for the utter awfulness of the last few weeks. I would have liked to have spoken to someone who had already been through it, but I guess that wasn’t possible. There isn’t even a Myeloma website or organisation for Ireland.

My wonderful hubby Bryan came in – he has been a knight, amazing and supportive and a real test of the in sickness and in health part of our marriage vows. He passed with flying colours.

Tired tonight.

Home is on the horizon.

Monday 30 July 2012 = NOW

In work just for today and tomorrow and then annual leave for three weeks. I can't wait. It has been such a hectic year so far and I have done so much. Still on a bit of a high after my wonderful results at the hospital last week. Long may they keep stable and steady.

Three appointments arrived for me in the post today - one for my next haematology visit in September for bloods etc. The other is for my renal consultant in October. The final one kind of caught me off guard as it is for an ultrasound of my kidneys. Why? There was no reference to this at any of my recent visits. Have they found something on a recent test? I wish they would explain things better in letters rather than freaking patients out! Flip sake. I hope it is just routine.

The medical stuff just doesn't go away. It's always there hanging over me. Anyway, for now I am well and that will do me for the next couple of months. 

For now I am going ahead and making plans for the next couple of weeks - relaxing, visiting, chilling out.

B
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment