Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Thursday 2 August 2007 and Thursday 2 August 2012

Thursday 2 August 2007 = THEN [HOMEWARD BOUND] 


I had a great night’s sleep last night. When I woke up I had an upset tummy. It was minor in comparison to what I have had all month.

So the big news from today is that I am finally going home. 


I am going home.

 HOME!  

HOMEWARD BOUND! 

I have done it. 

Thanks to the miracles of medicine and  the love and support of my family – I have done it. 

I am emotional. I am scared. I won’t have my call button to press beside my bed, so I am anxious. I am sure I will be fine in a day or two and I have an on call emergency number if I need anything, but I am scared and elated all at the same time. 

God is good. Thank God for my faith and for all the prayers and Masses which were said for me and which willed me back to health. 

I am going home.
I am going home.

Cathal will be delighted. Apparently when Bryan got back home last night, Cathal met him at the front door and said: “Where did you take my Mammy to?” Bless him.

All morning at home he has been saying to my sister Dots: “You are going to collect my Mammy to bring her home to me, aren’t you?”

I am off to pack up this hospital room. 

I AM GOING HOME.......

BREAK HERE 

This next piece was written at home:

I got all my prescriptions and my instructions from the team. I got a great send off. The nurses and doctors and support staff sent me off to hugs, cheers and applause. There were tears on my part but I felt like a million dollars walking down that corridor with my sister Dots– it was wonderful. 

It must have been great for the team to see someone like me who was so seriously ill, walking out of the ward by myself.

On the way home we collected Cathal from his minder and he was over the moon to see me and to glimpse some of his routine coming back. 

All evening he kept coming up to me and saying ‘You came home to me Mammy”. God bless him.
Let’s hope I get to stay home now for a good while.

HOME is where the heart is. Home is where all the people I love most in the world are. I am so happy.

Night Night from my own bed.....


Thursday 2 August 2012 = NOW 

It's so strange to be reading that back now, five year's later. It's not that I am taking for granted being at home all the time, but it almost reads as if it is someone else's life. It was all so awful back in August 2012 and then the sheer delight at knowing I was going to be sleeping in my own bed again in my own home.

There have been set backs since then and there have been a few days and weeks when I have been readmitted to hospital. All in all I spent 10 weeks in hospital in 2007. That is a hell of a long time to be away from a two year old and a nine year old.

Today we are planning all sorts for our holidays. We have some movies lined up, some trips down the country and lots of down-time. For the first time in five year's, I have no hospital visit in the middle of my holidays. It's the little things like being free of those visits, even for a couple of weeks, that make all the difference.

I am off to plot and plan at HOME.

B

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment