Monday, July 9, 2012

Monday 9 July 2007 Transplant Day and Mon 9 July 2012


Monday 9 July 2007 = Then 

Today is day five and the final day of the initial stem cell transplant process. It's D Day or T Day.

Vomited at 5.45am
Vomited at 9am
Discovered a bug in my line so more antibiotics
Vomited at 1.30pm

Today is all about my beautiful, clever little stem cells that are stored over in St James’s Hospital. Today is the day for them to shine.

We left Tallaght Hospital – a nurse and I by 11.20am. We met the team in St James's – some of the faces are familiar. I was taken into a cubicle in the haematology day ward and a set of observations were done on me. My chart was handed over from Tallaght and there was a chat, a very important chat.

A doctor had to prescribe my own stem cells for me. It seemed strange that someone had to actually prescribe for me what had actually come from inside me – but there are important rules and protections in place which are so stringent and important.

Next thing what I can only describe as a little metal Dalex (like in Dr Who) was wheeled in by a lab technician with a trail of dry ice coming out of it. The contraption was opened and my bags of stem cells were taken out. They were warmed up (defrosted really) in a bath of warmish water.

 At 1pm the transplant began. While it is called a transplant, there is no surgery involved at this point – it’s like receiving a blood transfusion, except it’s a lot faster. There were three bags for me to have and they took fifteen minutes each to go in through my central line in my chest. The transplant was done – finished by 1.45pm. I threw up in the middle of it – nothing to do with the transplant – it was the ongoing effects of the melphalan chemo.

I had to hang around for a couple of hours before I could go back to Tallaght, so as they could make sure my vitals were okay and that I wasn't having an adverse reaction to the preservative that is used as part of the mixture of cells. 

Bryan arrived out from work and was there for some of the transplant. It must have felt good for him to see this famous transplant happen!

All was well and in the early afternoon I was whisked back to Tallaght Hospital by ambulance. I was feeling pretty sick at that stage.

While the procedure is called a stem cell transplant – it is actually more like a rescue for the body. My bloods had been knocked out, wiped out by the chemo and if I had to wait for my body to recover by itself I would be susceptible for a very long time to life- threatening infections and to other complications. My stem cells were hopefully about to rescue me from the effects of the high dose chemotherapy.

A good day full of hope but still full of sickness, nausea and fear too.

Exhausted.

Ends

Monday 9 July 2012 = Now 

I was up early and worried about my back. It still feels very sore. Bloody exercise! I am hoping the heat pads will sort it as well as taking it easy.

I left for work and my stem cell cake was waiting for me. It was made by a friend of mine and it looks amazing [see pic]. The plan was to have it at break time but it didn't work out. Someone had passed an exam and there was already cake and goodies - so I was gazumped! 



Instead I brought my cake home and cut it here with the family. Probably nicer to have done it at home but it would have been nice too to share it in work. Maybe it will work out for my 10th anniversary!

It's hard to believe that five years have passed. This time five year's ago I could not imagine getting through five days or five weeks, never mind five years.

I am so grateful to all those people who have supported me and been with me on this journey over the past five years. 

I am off now to have a slice of my cake and a glass of bubbly. Here's to five year's down and hopefully many more to come.

XX




No comments:

Post a Comment