Monday, July 23, 2012

Wednesday 11 July 2007 and Wednesday 11 July 2012

Wednesday 11 July 2007 = THEN


(I am *neutropenic from today) *this means no ability whatsoever to fight infection

Today marks my first week in hospital and I feel so very tired. I feel as though I have run a dozen marathons. I still can’t eat, can’t stand the meal trays even being in the room. Today I can’t watch any food programmes on telly and Bryan has been banned from talking about any food when he comes to see me.

I was moved from Room 33 to Room 22 today – I think they are moving me closer to the nurses station. Oh oh.

I saw my kidney consultant today and she is happy enough that my kidneys are holding their own. There is no talk of dialysis yet which is a huge relief.

For some reason the Bruce Springsteen Song If I Should fall behind is playing in my head all day today – If I should Fall Behind….wait for me ….


Wednesday 11 July 2012 = NOW


I did not sleep at all last night as I was on a 6am flight out of Dublin for a work trip to Cologne. It is weird to read back about how sick I was this time five year's ago and today here I am in the air on the way to Amsterdam and then Cologne. This day five year's ago I could not make it to the bathroom by myself!

The freedom is great. Being cooped up in hospital is a terrible feeling, especially when there are so many unknowns. I really do appreciate being well again and being free [for now] of hospital stays. It just upsets so much in day to day life.

It's one of the many small things I am grateful for.

Now off with me to Germany.

B

No comments:

Post a Comment