Thursday, July 5, 2012

Thursday 5 July 2007 and 2012


Thursday 5 July 2007 = Then 

Day 1 of the stem cell transplant process
This is my second day in hospital but it is referred to as Day One of the Stem Cell Transplant Process.

I had my first dose of high dose chemotherapy (melphalan) at 1.25pm. It was scary watching it going in. It was a huge syringe, it went in very slowly – it looked sticky and gloopy. I felt strange just sitting there watching it disappear into my line, knowing how sick it was going to make me. There was a temptation to say STOP.

Bryan came into visit me. He asked how I was feeling and I said ok. I knew that he knew I wasn’t well – I must have looked green. 

I hung on until he went home and then there was a volcanic eruption of my stomach at 9.30pm. I could not believe how fast the chemo was working. It was good stuff – not! I detest vomiting, always have – the feeling of panic and suffocation that comes momentarily. I had several aftershocks that night and eventually I fell asleep.

Ends 

Thursday 5 July 2012 = Now 

I was awake far too late last night looking at the ochre full moon and tweeting too late on Twitter. I was tired this morning but it's another great day. 

I am building up to the actual anniversary of my Stem Cell Transplant (SCT) which falls on Monday next, (9 July 2012). It is really hard to believe it has been five years.

I have come a long way from 5 July 2007. I was feeling so awful and it was only Day 1 of the process.

Work was busy but good. 

Afterwards we had birthday plans with the kids and my friend. We went Bowling and had a really good laugh. A great night and then home to my own home and bed - it really is the little comforts that I missed when I was in hospital and I suppose like everyone, we do tend to take our everyday routine for granted from time to time. 

I am up far too late again tonight. Tut Tut.

Night night

B X



No comments:

Post a Comment